When was the last time you asked a work colleague
R U OK?
Four letters, even bigger meaning. It may seem like any old question, but to some people, it could be a question that could save their life.
What is "R U OK?" Day?
R U OK? Day is a national day of action which aims to prevent suicide by encouraging Australians to connect with someone you care about. This may be a friend, a family member or even a work colleague. It’s a day to break the stigma away from mental illness by allowing people to talk about the issues that face them. As many of us spend most of our day at work, it’s important that workplaces create a safe and supportive environment for all workers.
Here are just some concerning statistics about suicide and mental illness in Australia:
- Every second day at least one construction worker will commit suicide, costing the construction industry $1.57 billion each year.
- 1 in 5 Australians will suffer a form of mental illness at some point in their lives.
- The cost of mental illness in Australia is approximately $20 billion per year- with many of that due to lost labour and productivity in the workplace.
- Three out of four suicides in Australia are committed by males and is accounted for 2.8% of male deaths in Australia.
Health by Design have been large supporters of the day and in the past we’ve held events at workplaces to increase awareness of the day. We have held events in the past like BBQs; a chance for all employees to converse is a safe and supportive environment as well as having interactive displaces to get all members of your workplace involved. We also have several mental health programs which focus on promoting positive mental health within the workplace. Our programs can be delivered to you at your workplace, so you don’t have to worry a thing!
Our three Mental Health programs provide a total population approach to good mental health, resilience and high performance:
- pro-actively focuses on lifestyle factors to build resilience and improve mental health.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE PATHWAY
- joins the dots between physical and psychological health by educating individuals and provides a targeted plan to improve health and performance in all dimensions.
- CHEMISTRY FOR SUCCESS
- pro-actively influences behaviours using researched based profiling and provides individuals with a health and performance action plan.