So, how can you beat stress and encourage better stress management at your workplace?
Beat stress with food! Nutrition has a huge role in how you feel:
Food can help tame stress in several ways. Comfort foods boost the level of serotonin, a calming brain chemical. Other foods can cut the level of cortisol and adrenaline, stress hormones that take a toll on the body over time.
Food to consider when feeling stressed:
- Skim milk - Research has shown that calcium can reduce muscle spasms and soothe tension.
- Almonds - Containing B vitamins, this vitamin can make you more resilient during bouts of stress. A quarter of a cup per day is all you need.
- Pistachios - Also good for busting stress. They help keep your heart from racing when things heat up.
- Oranges - Stressed? Peel yourself an orange. Oranges contain vitamin C, which has been found to reduce stress.
- Spinach - Too little magnesium may trigger headaches and fatigue, compounding the effects of stress. Spinach is packed with magnesium.
- Black tea - Drinking black tea may help you recover from stressful events more quickly.
It can also be helpful to consider these tips for managing everyday stress:
- Identify warning signs - These vary from person to person, but might include things like tensing your jaw, grinding your teeth, getting headaches, or feeling irritable and short tempered.
- Establish routines - Having predictable rhythms and routines in your day, or over a week, such as regular times for exercise and relaxation, meal times, waking and bedtimes, can be very calming and reassuring, and can help you to manage your stress.
- Spend time with people who care - Share your thoughts and feelings with others when opportunities arise. Don’t ‘bottle up’ your feelings.
- Look after your health - Make sure you are eating healthy food and getting regular exercise. Avoid using alcohol, tobacco or other drugs to cope.
If you would like further assistance in reducing workplace stress and boosting employee health & productivity as a result, contact us today! We have a range of solutions available, no matter what the logistical challenges at your workplace may be.