With 67 percent of Australians either sedentary or with low levels of exercise, time constraints seem to be the biggest deterrent of people not exercising.
We spend 1/3 of our day at work, finding up to an hour to exercise may be problematic for some people.
What if you could gain the benefits of exercise in only 10 minutes a day?
Research has found that completing high intensity exercise for only 10 minutes daily had the same effect of completing 50 minutes of moderate exercise in the same three month time period.
So what are some of the effects that exercise has on the body?
- Exercise is linked to lower levels of depression, improved memory function and quicker learning ability- exercise promotes improved blood flow to the brain, allowing for the growth of new brain cells and nerve connections to improve functionality.
- Exercise can improve insulin sensitivity, allowing the body to use glucose more effectively as an energy source.
- Exercise can improve mood- when you exercise, the brain releases certain neurotransmitters that can decrease stress and alleviate mood.
- Exercise can lengthen the lifespan by up to 5 years! Exercise increases the molecules that protects telomeres, the caps at the end of chromosomes which can prevent aging at a cellular level.
- Exercise can decrease your risk of developing heart disease and diabetes, with inactivity responsible for 30 and 27 percent of cases respectively.
If your workplace is interested in the number of health programs that we run, get in contact with Health by Design today to find out more.