Impact of incorrect posture
Incorrect working posture can cause:
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- Swelling of the legs and feet
- General muscle fatigue
- Lower back pain
- Stiffness in the neck and shoulders
- Cramping of internal organs
- Greater chance of pain and injury
Impact of sitting incorrectly
Contrary to popular belief, sitting, which most people believe is relaxing, is hard on the back. Sitting for long periods of time can cause increased pressure on the intervertebral discs.
Impact of standing incorrectly
Standing for long periods of time can reduce the blood supply to the muscles; which accelerates the onset of fatigue and causes pain and stiffness in the muscles and joints of the legs, back and neck.
The benefits of maintaining correct posture
Good posture is as simple as maintaining the natural curve of the spine. When standing, this means the head is directly over the shoulders, shoulders over the pelvis, abdominal muscles tightened and bottom tucked in.
By maintaining good posture your body is able to:
- Perform at its maximum potential
- Maintain good circulation
- Maximise the mechanical advantage for tasks
- Reduce fatigue
- Reduce stress on the spinal column and joints
- Prevent crowding of internal organs