Did you know that work-related stress is the second most common compensated illness/injury in Australia, after musculoskeletal disorders? Aside from being COSTLY for business, there are a number of other reasons why making sure your employees know how to manage their stress is GOOD for business.
- A study has found that stress can increase your risk of dying from heart disease by up to 5 times.
- Being physically active to manage stress is an effective technique, plus it helps the body to recover more quickly.
- Up to 90% of visits to the doctor are stress-related - that's a lot of avoidable time off work! It's so common because stress can be linked to headaches, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems, asthma, arthritis, depression and anxiety.
- Stress compromises the immune system, increasing the odds of becoming ill. However, a healthy diet can help build up the immune system, lower blood pressure and stabilise blood sugar levels (which helps keep you balanced and energised throughout the day).
- Too much stress can cause poor concentration, forgetfulness, negativity and indecision among workers.
- Back pain can be a side effect of too much stress. Stress can cause fatigue and stiffness in your back creating muscle imbalances and chronic pain.
Poor lifestyle habits can have a negative influence on how we manage stress levels.
- Poor eating habits - opting for junk food and/or skipping meals.
- Lack of sleep - Sleep deprivation disrupts the ability to think clearly.
- Physical inactivity - When people get stressed they tend to give up exercise - but this is a powerful tool in coping with stress!
- Negative thinking - Attitude can greatly influence whether we deem a situation stressful or not. Negative attitudes are predictors of stress.
- Resilience - Being committed, in control and having an appetite for a challenge will help staff to develop effective, stress coping skills.
If you'd like to know more about the stress management solutions that Health by Design offer and how easily they can be integrated into your workplace logistics, get in touch today!